Sunday, April 24, 2011

Raspberry Island Ice-Out 2011: Day 18

 Today's the first sunny, warm day of the season. I uncovered yellow crocuses and blue scilla this morning, both beginning to blossom. The ice floes are still out there, moving around on the lake, so we can't safely put the pontoon or dock in the water yet. One mass of ice is currently stuck on the south end of the island, too big to move on. It trapped Gary's fishing boat where it was moored along the shore, so he had to move the boat around the other side of the island this morning, by pulling it around by brute force.

An ice floe pushing up against the east side of the island.

Depending on the wind direction, ice floes push up against the island and scrape along the shore, then move off into the distance again.When a floe pushes up against the island, the breaking crystals make a SHHHHHH sound.

Up close, the ice looks like glass now. It wouldn't support much weight if you were to stand on it (if you could even get onto it). Maybe today will be the last day of ice?


1 comment:

  1. Too bad JR & I just missed the last ice. It was so nice to visit you. I enjoy the updates.

    Thanks !!

    rmn

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to leave a nice, gentle comment. :-)