Monday, December 7, 2009


We're still "stuck", waiting for the ice to thicken. Yesterday morning we walked around the perimeter of the island, a few feet out from shore. The ice held us, but it cracked and bounced with every step. Even though I knew that the water underneath was shallow, and that breaking through the ice would result in nothing more than wet feet, I didn't want wet feet. So I was happy when we came full circle and could get off the ice.

It's been so silent lately. Early yesterday (Sunday) morning I stood still in the dark woods on my way to the outhouse, and strained my ears to hear a sound. Nothing.

Overnight the temperature got down to 7 degrees F, so we likely made some good ice overnight. We'll go out and check this morning, when the sun comes up.


Currently, Gary can check the ice thickness by breaking through the ice with his walking stick. Yesterday  morning the ice was about 1.5 inches thick. This morning he'll likely need the ice chisel or an axe to break through, and later on, the ice auger. Once it's 4" thick, I'll be more willing to head out away from shore, but not until then!

We're invited to a holiday pot luck lunch today with the neighbors. Getting there requires a walk over the ice, off the west point of the island. But if the ice isn't 4" thick, we'll have to call with our regrets.

I'll be back with an ice report later....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to leave a nice, gentle comment. :-)