When I took Missifous to the vet for her annual shots in late October, I thought she seemed fine -- just a little less active than usual, which I figured was normal for a 16-year old cat. The vet was alarmed that she had gone from 10.3 pounds last year to 7.3 pounds, and diagnosed hyperthyroid. We were given some pills, and we gave them to Missifous twice daily throughout November by crushing them and putting them in her food. Last week during her follow-up exam, we got some good news -- the pills had worked: her thyroid number was well within safe range. But we also got bad news: she now also had kidney disease. I didn't realize how quickly it would progress and was surprised to find, just a little over a week later, that she had regressed to the point where she needed to be put down.
She lived 9 of her 16 years on the island, and had quite a life. She was able to make her own decisions on how she'd spend her days, for the most part. She chose to spend them enjoying the quietude, both outdoors...
It's going to be even quieter around here without her.

Hi Janet - I'm so sorry to hear about Missifous!!
ReplyDelete