Tuesday, December 8, 2009


Checking the ice thickness this morning, we found that it's now 3 to 3.5 inches thick. We've postponed our scheduled trip off the island tomorrow (December 9). We were going to go down to the Cities for a doctor appointment (Gary's), and to celebrate Christmas with his mother in St. Louis Park. But a winter storm is forecast, and all things considered, we've decided to just stay here. Walking gingerly over newly frozen ice in a snowstorm with 25 mph northwest winds and a temperature of minus 6 F just isn't going to happen!

Instead of preparing to depart, therefore, we spent the morning hauling firewood and stacking it by the back door. One of the best things to anticipate is a winter storm in the forecast, a stack of firewood, and no place to go.

We spent the afternoon trying to teach ourselves how to make pine needle baskets. We had no idea they took so long. As always happens in cases like this, we now appreciate why pine needle baskets cost so much. I don't see pine needle basket-making in our future, but it was a nice way to spend the afternoon together. (I envision myself when I'm 95 having tried everything once and never having gotten good at any of it. I wonder if I'll be happy that I tried everything once, or filled with regret for not bothering to get good at any of it?)

Cozy evening ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to leave a nice, gentle comment. :-)