| A gray January day. |
The freeze-up of 2015 was the longest time we've ever been stuck out here: a full three weeks. Gary measured the ice on December 20th and it was 3-1/2 to 4 inches thick -- thick enough to be reasonably safe -- so we made a run for it: we packed up our things, loaded up the sled, and used the kick sleds to get to the car. It was tough going, as it was so slushy under the snow, but we made it safely, with some effort. And then we took off for Dearborn, Michigan, to spend Christmas with nephew David and niece Amanda, followed by New Years at Sara & Jim's with the Minnesota contingent of the family. (I would write about that, but I suppose I should keep this blog about Raspberry Island, so I'll just say we had a wonderful time with everyone!) We are back to normal life now -- the holidays behind us, spring ahead of us.
Our current project, so to speak, is to do some updates on our solar electrical system. When we (I say "we," but I mean Gary) installed our system in 2006, we were told the eight batteries would last about ten years. They seem to be failing right on schedule: they haven't been holding a good charge lately. Normally, we like to keep them charged between 70 and 100%, but during December the charge started frequently falling below 70%, even on sunny days.
After some research and experimentation, and phone advice from Backwoods Solar (which has the best tech support of any company I know), Gary was able to identify two batteries that weren't pulling their weight. Today he is replacing them, and we will see how long the remaining six last.
We could ostensibly stop using solar power and switch our house to shore power, but we like the idea that most of our household electricity needs are met by the sun. So, we'll do what it takes to keep our little system going.
Here's Siili, helping out, on top of the converter box. I'm kidding. She's not helping.

Good morning...how much snow do you have up there? Thinking of you and enjoying reading your blog. Nancy
ReplyDeleteHI Nancy! We don't have much snow at all -- maybe 5 inches? I've been enjoying the photos of Eric and Dominika's little girl on Facebook! Hope you're having a good time out west.
DeleteHappy new year. I am glad you're safe and sound back on the island. Thank you for your blogs!
ReplyDeleteIt would be wonderful for diane and I to get up there. It has been a long time since I've been on Raspberry island with you guys. RMN
ReplyDeleteYou are welcome anytime! xoxoxo
DeleteThat job thing gets in the way of so much fun & adventure !
Delete