Thursday, December 2, 2010

December 2: off the island

The slushy ice froze pretty quickly once it got down to 5 degrees F overnight. When he checked the ice thickness this morning, Gary found that it was 5 inches thick. Thick enough to walk on -- so he walked to the car today and went to town. I opted to stay home and paint my toenails to celebrate. I have to admit, I always feel a huge letdown when the ice-up or ice-out isolation is over. Not that I'm not happy to get off and see other people, I just really enjoy the time we spend out here when all the temptations and distractions of the world at large are impossible to reach. I'll come around.

Gary's preference was to take the snowmobile to the mainland but I strongly disagreed. He pulled a sled instead, while I waited on shore with my cell phone and a ladder, just in case. I didn't need either one.

An hour and a half later he was back with a sack full of mail, 2 gallons of milk, some Leinenkugels Creamy Dark Lager, and two bags of Old Dutch Puffcorn!

We fired up the masonry oven yesterday as the temps started to fall. We're really going through the firewood, now that we have two woodstoves in the house, plus the masonry oven, plus the kitchen cookstove. We'll need to go away for a while this winter just to stop using up all the wood!

I'll be brief today and end this entry with a photo from our walk around the island yesterday, after a fresh snow.

1 comment:

  1. what beautiful pictures! Although not like being there in person .Thanks for sharing!

    rmn

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to leave a nice, gentle comment. :-)