Yesterday when we were out on our daily walk around the island, we saw these tracks running over the fresh snow in the east bay. We couldn't decide what they were at first. Even though they didn't look like muskrat tracks, we were fooled into thinking they were when they went into this muskrat hole on the shore.
I consulted our field guide to animal tracks when we got back to the house, and learned that they're mink tracks. As a bonus, the field guide says, "Mink dens may be dug into banks, in which case they will be about 4 inches in diameter. The mink may also use muskrat burrows..." Hmm. I wonder what happens to the muskrats in this case? Best not to think about it. Mink are one of the many reasons our chicken coop is fortified with hardware mesh on all six sides.
Yesterday Gary set the solar panels into winter position, which is nearly vertical, as the sun doesn't rise very high in the sky this time of year.
Time to get the turkey in the oven for our Thanksgiving meal. The pine siskins, meanwhile, are enjoying what's left of the bee balm in the garden out front. Enjoy the day!
happy Thanksgiving
ReplyDeleteWhat an adventure every day !! I love the outdoors. Spending time with friends far from the city is wonderful.
Thanks for sharing. I can almost pretend I am there.
Good health to you both. Peace of the LORD !
Love
roman